Cardboard Box Sled Derby
Sunday, February 11, 2018
AT THE MEADOWS AT SHANNON POND
FREE TO THE PUBLIC, DONATIONS WELCOME
Start planning now for one of our more fun and creative winter programs! Join us as we team up with the Moultonborough Recreation Department on Sunday February 11th for a Cardboard Box Sled Derby! Use your imagination to transform and ordinary cardboard box into an extraordinary sled and race it down the hill at Castle in the Clouds. This awesome family friendly event is open to all ages, will tap into your creative side, and get you outside in the fresh air for an afternoon of fun, laughter, and chilly thrills!
Get creative and theme your sled any way you like.
Cardboard Box Sleds and riders will be judged on creativity, design, and theme. Ribbons will be awarded in multiple categories that include best construction & use of cardboard, and most creative design. Costumes are encouraged and protective headgear is recommended as wipeouts do happen.
After the derby, guests are invited to stay and continue the sledding fun. Warm up by the fire pit and enjoy hot cocoa and goodies, compliments of Castle in the Clouds and the Moultonborough Recreation Department.
This free event is open to the public. Donations are appreciated to help us provide additional programs like this one in the future.
ALL SLEDS MUST BE REGISTERED IN ADVANCE OF THE EVENT.
THE REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS FEBRUARY 9, 2018 BY 4:00PM.
Registration deadline is: February 9, 2018 by 4:00pm.
Click here to download a registration form with a list of all our guidelines. You can email it to either email address above, fax to 603-476-2512 to snail-mail to Castle in the Clouds Attn: Program Coordinator PO Box 687 Moultonborough, NH 03254. You can also schedule a time to drop them off in person.
Rules for Building Your Sled
- Only regular cardboard, duct tape, masking tape, scotch tape, glue, paper & paint may be used to construct the cardboard sleds.
- Any type of paint may be used to decorate sleds.
- Cardboard only NO PLASTICS OF ANY KIND.
- Sleds cannot be wrapped in plastic, shrink wrap, or anything else.
- NO Wood, glass, metal, staples, twine, or wire will be permitted on sled. NO Sharp edges.
- Only wax is permitted on the running surface- NO tape is allowed on the running surface.
- All designs must be family friendly! No profanity allowed.
- SLED Themes, costumes, and enthusiasm are strongly encouraged & appreciated by Judges!
- Registered Sled Name must be visible on the sled. Event administrators and/or Judges reserve the right to disqualify a sled that does not follow the guidelines.
Sleds must be functional as a sled – ie: a person must ride the sled down the hill in order to participate.
For the safety of our riders, sleds may not be attached to one another. You can, however, build a sled large enough to fit more than one person! (Maximum of 4 riders per sled).
Get inspired by viewing pictures of previous year’s events at our Facebook Page!
Rules for Participants
Anyone can participate – there is no age limit!
In order to practice safe sledding, riders are encouraged but not required to wear safety gear such as helmets and sturdy boots.
Please remember to use Ossipee Park Road (the main entrance will be closed.) You can park in our main parking lot and take a short walk to the meadows where the sledding will take place.
In the Event of Inclement Weather
This event will take place “snow or shine” – we will cancel if inclement weather prevents roads from being cleared. In the event of cancellation, we will post it on our website’s home page as well as on our Facebook page. The blizzard date for this event is February 25th. Same time, same place!
The event is put on in partnership with the Moultonborough Recreation Department